Sunday 13 February 2011

Subway

Today I shall simply display one of my photographs, as I do not wish to overload you with photographic equipment reviews!
 

The following picture was taking during a shoot in London, UK. I was wandering around Exhibition Road and the South Kensington area, looking for interesting subjects. I was carrying my Olympus OM-1n with Olympus Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 lens, loaded with a roll of Kodak Ektar 100 film. This was actually the first shoot I had been on using this particular film, and I was very much intrigued to see the results it produced in varying light conditions.


I took a number of photographs in daylight, some inside, and this particular shot was taken in the pedestrian subway which runs underneath Exhibition Road, between South Kensington Tube Station and the various museum entrances that are located there. There are very few light sources in this subway, with only a handful of small windows at street level and some dim overhead lighting. I was keen to see how this light would affect the Kodak Ektar 100 film, so I decided to try this shot. I stopped and waited for a moment, until a suitable gap appeared between myself and my subjects. It is often very busy in this particular tunnel, due to the popularity of the location with tourists in the city. I found an opportune moment and quickly framed the shot. The aperture had to be wide open at f/1.8 and I believe the shutter speed (if my memory serves me) was 1/60s.


The Ektar 100 produces incredibly vibrant colours in bright conditions, and in these low light conditions actually produced some quite pleasant subtle, pastel tones. This particular shot is one of my favourites from that shoot, and so that is why I have decided to share it with you today.


I shall go over the different films I choose to use in future posts, along with how they perform in different conditions and the situations in which I would decide to use them. But for now, here is the image described above:











































For a look at more of my photographs, along with larger, higher-resolution images, please visit my Flickr Photostream.


Many thanks again for reading.


Tom Parkes
London, UK

No comments:

Post a Comment